Monday, July 4, 2011

Liberation Day

Happy 4th of July to all of you in the US (and even to those of you viewing this blog from Canadia or Eastern Europe or India-- I've seen your hits!  Take it international!).  Today is Liberation Day in Rwanda, and we were able to observe it in a pretty amazing way.


We spent the afternoon in the small village known as Imidugudo ("Reconciliation Village") where survivors and perpetrators of the genocide live together (sometimes in the same house), work together, and generally just ARE together all the time.  We were able to interview four people-- two survivors, two perpetrators-- for about two hours.  It was mind-blowing, and I need to sort some things out before I write about it.

Anyway, we're celebrating freedom from government tyranny today over here too.  But it feels a little different.

PS- Yes, I know that I'm basically paraphrasing Bill Pullman's speech from Independence Day.  It was a really good speech, and totally applicable here. 

PPS- Ellen and I never have to really share that much (2 bathrooms, 2 TVs, 2 TiVos, etc) and she's been very patient with my hogging  the only computer we have up to this point.  So I'm going to let her blog now.

No comments:

Post a Comment